While there is no universal best way to post on social media, there are a few things to keep in mind when deciding what to post, how you should “sound,” or what your writing style you should look like. Here are a few tips to get your started:
- Be authentic and human. Simply putting out a press release will fail to connect on a personal level with your target audience.
- Sharing media in your posts such as photos, videos, and infographics will increase engagement. Visuals are often great forms of expression.
- Be helpful and insightful. Many times as a social media communicator, you are the voice for news and events within your college and/or department. Make sure to always answer questions in a timely manner or point people in the right direction when you don’t know.
- Carry out live discussions when appropriate. Real-time engagement is what social media is best used for.
- Write purposely and accurately. Every word you write should serve in grabbing the reader’s attention while checking for errors in grammar.
- Respect copyright laws. Always ask for permission when necessary and give credit by linking to your sources.
- Accept mistakes (they will happen) respectfully. Acknowledging and correcting mistakes quickly will maintain rapport with your readers.
- Always promote Cal Poly. As with everything we do, remember that our goal is to share something good about Cal Poly. Keep the institutional position in mind and think about how you can creatively share our best stories.